Dover Area Historical Society

Dr. Condict House

The Blue Tour

Saturday, May 4, 2024
1pm to 5pm

Dr Condit House in Dover, New Jersey

Dover Area Historical Society

Dr. Condict House

For information on events, click on the website below:

https://www.dovernjhistory.org/

Facebook: Dover Area Historical Society

Dr. Condict’s home and office was built in the late 1890s and is now home to the Dover Area Historical Society located in Dover’s historic district. The Condict Family settled in Morris Count in the mid 1700s. The 1890s brick Queen Anne Style was built in the area that was then called Doctors’ Row. The museum has been the office and home of many three local physicians, the last family and physician at this address was Dr. Shanik, whose office and family was there until 1960.

In 1722, John Jackson arrived and built an iron forge and log cabin marking the founding of Dover, which celebrated its 300th anniversary in 2022. The iron rich hills, the Rockaway River water source and plentiful woods made the Dover area ideal for the iron industry. In 1825, two New York developers Henry McFarlan and Joseph Blackwell, saw the potential of Dover’s ideal location and mapped out streets and began selling business lots. In 1825, the Morris Canal began to be dug through Dover. It was at the midpoint of the waterway with the largest basin along the canal. Then came the trolleys and trains bringing more business and prosperity. Dover attracted workers from Europe, South America, Puerto Rico and other locales to work in the new factories.

Today the DAHS continues to celebrate the diversity of Dover-past, present and future. The three-story Museum houses hundreds of photos, books and artifacts.

This year's Pathways tour features topics of discussion established annually by the New Jersey Historical Commission (NJHC).