Picatinny Arsenal Historical Society
US Army Garrison Picatinny Arsenal (USAG Picatinny)
- Limited to first 25-30 vehicles (1 – 4 passengers ) due to security constraints. NCIC background check required.
- 1st Stop: Bldg 151 with showcase to installation cannon and weapon monuments
- 2nd Stop: Picatinny Lake with view of Picatinny Peak
- 3rd Stop: Bldg 3316, Firehouse
- 4th Stop: Walton Burial Ground (if time allows)
- Each stop will last approximately 30 minutes. Cars will be escorted by PAHS members to each stop. Attendees will exit the Arsenal by the Mt. Hope Gate
- IMPORTANT: See security and parking instructions.
On September 6th, 1880, the War Department established the Dover Powder Depot; four days later, its name was changed to the “Piccatinny Powder Depot.” Piccatinny is a Lenape Native American word that means “rugged cliff by water” or “water by the hills.”
In June 1891, 315 acres of the Depot near Lake Denmark were transferred to the U.S. Navy for the establishment of a powder depot known as the Lake Denmark Naval Ammunition Depot.
In 1907, the Army altered the name of the Depot to Picatinny Arsenal and established its first powder factory on the site. While continuing to produce munitions, the Arsenal moved towards research and development with the start of a school to instruct officers in weaponry sciences.
Picatinny Arsenal is home to the Joint Program Executive Office for Armaments and Ammunition. The scope of Armaments work at Picatinny spans the entire life cycle of managing the development, procurement, and delivery of systems to the Warfighter.
If weather conditions allow, a large Cannon Gate portrait backdrop will be stationed at Bldg 151 for attendees to have their photo taken with.
*NCIC background check needed for ALL VISITORS in each vehicle (Instructions and form are bundled with PDF download to the left):
- Vehicle Make/Model/License Plate number.
- Have Driver’s License, Insurance Card and Registration ready to show guard(s) at Security Booth by the Visitor Center.
- Follow directions given (basically following straight thru the Cannon Gate) to Bldg 151 for adjacent parking and start of tour.